Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Just Love Them All

Isn’t it true that we (you and I) “see ourselves” through the things that we associate with? In my case, I am a Christian, I love Led Zeppelin, Harley’s, dogs, friends, Doritos, my wife (not in this order), sarcasm, and a bunch of other things that increase or decrease in priority depending on my surroundings. We seek to show our identity by vainly clinging to other people, things, ideas, organizations, etc., We also self-justify through the things that we turn away from. I once believed that to maintain an independent, autonomous existence as a Pastor I had to be mindful of what I distanced myself from as well as what I attached myself to.

I dissociated with hip-hop music. Starbucks, homosexuals, drug addicts, alcoholics, lawyers, and all those people with the homeless signs on every street corner who insist on looking directly at me when they walk by. I can’t listen to hip-hop music because it threatens my identity as a music snob with sophisticated 60’s rock taste and, quite frankly, I can’t understand most of whatever it is they are saying.

Even Starbucks is too mainstream and thus threatens my identity as a counterculture, progressive, and independent thinker (hippie). I believed that as a Pastor I had to remain conscious of my every move so that I wouldn’t cause others to stumble even if they were walking (running) away from me screaming much of the time.

Lately, for whatever reason, God has decided to get my attention regarding my relationship with others, (all “others”). I just want to love someone nobody else truly wants to love. That sounds “sappy” but I don’t know any other way of saying it. The plain truth is as a Christian (and a Pastor) if I make demands on people to be “like” something so that God will love them then either the God I represent isn’t worth the effort or I am grossly misrepresenting Him.

Jesus left us with two new and improved commandments. Matthew 22:34-40 Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law? Jesus replied: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

At times, it seems easier to take hold of a good looking goat, toss it up on the altar and sacrifice the crap out of it than to simply love my “garage band practicing all hours of the night” neighbor, and yet, loving, is exactly what God expects.

My part isn’t to make any determination as to the guilt or innocence of anyone. I’m not to be looking for enough evidence to hold them over for trial. My job is to love them all and let God sort them out. I sometimes find that's a very difficult thing to do.

Lately, as God continues to lovingly correct me whenever I justify my self righteousness through the sins of another I’m learning to better love as He loves regardless of what people bring to the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment